When applied correctly, your roof is designed to withstand the elements. Some storms, however, are more intense than others and can cause significant damage. Has a classic Richmond summer storm blown through and you have some concerns? Our team at Tredegar Construction has outlined some items to look for, how and when to get insurance involved, and how we can help!
What to look for: First and foremost, be careful and stay safe! Any damage to your roof should be viewed from a safeground position with binoculars. The only person on the roof should be a certified, insured roofing contractor or an insurance claim adjuster. Anypowerlines, trees, or other obstructions causing roof issues should be dealt with by a certified tradesman only.
Summer storms: Most issues caused by summer storms are damages from severe rain and wind as well as hail. High winds can exacerbate defects such as blisters, neglected termination points, and areas of delamination. Wind can also cause the roof's underlayment or membrane to rip or tear away from the building, removing the critical moisture barrier. Wind may also cause shingles to be blown back in the wrong direction causing creased shingles, which can ruin the structural integrity of the shingle. . Hail storms can cause significant damage to roof vents and can also cause blistering and damage to the shingle itself, which weakens the strength and overall integrity of even some of the best shingles.
Potential signs of summer storm damage:
- Missing Shingles or shingles blown askew.
- Shingles that are flipped or have any indication of being creased in the opposite direction.
- Shingles or shingle tabs that have impact damage (often from trees or other items that blew away after impact)
- Circular or Spotty areas where hail has impacted and removed or disturbed the asphalt granules.
- Debris and ponding water
- Cuts and punctures in the roofing membrane
- Edge metal pulled up
- Damaged perimeter flashing
- Damage to skylights, domes, or flashing
How we can help: Tredegar Construction is an expert at assessing and helping homeowners with roof storm damage in Richmond and the metro Richmond area. If you believe that you have issues with storm damage on your roof, give us a call and we can help decipher between normal wear and tear and damage. Tredegar can also help when working with the insurance company by taking the following steps to ensure the claim is filed correctly.
1. Assessment of Damages – Once the storm has passed and you're aware of the damage, call Tredegar to schedule a thorough roof inspection. You will also need to contact your insurance provider to schedule an adjuster to examine the damage. Oftentimes, a side-along report of the damage from an independent third-party contractor can be helpful to ensure you've gotten the most out of your claim.
2. Documentation – Photography of the damage taken by our team is another way that you can ensure you are getting the most out of your claim. Be sure professionals only are on the roof or you are taking photos from the ground.
3. Repair or Replace? - Tredegar Construction is committed to giving our customers the best value and work for our clients.Sometimes, a partial replacement is all that is needed to get the roof back to watertight and full functionality. Occasionally, an entire roof replacement is needed and required, but we will work with you to ensure you get everything you're due out of your claim.
Remember with your insurance claim:
Whether you're reimbursed partially, fully, or not at all depends on your policy, so check with your insurance company on your coverage if you experience any damage.
Our sincerest hope is that you WON'T need our help this Richmond summer storm season, but if you do have any damage, please lean on usas one of your first calls to make! We will work to have your home back to new in no time!
Our service areas: Tredegar Construction provides Tredegar Construction installs asphalt shingle roofing, TPO membrane roofing, and silicone roof coating, siding, crawl space solutions, spray foam, window and gutter replacement services in the Richmond, Virginia metro area and surrounding counties of Ashland, Charles City County, Chester, Chesterfield County, City of Richmond, Colonial Heights, Goochland County, Hanover County, Henrico County, Hopewell, King William County, New Kent County, Petersburg, Powhatan County and more! We also serve Midlothian, Short Pump, Petersburg, Bon Air, Mechanicsville, Manchester, Tuckahoe, Near West End, Manakin Sabot, Varina, Powhatan, Oilville, Ashland, Colonial Heights, Fort Lee, Museum District, Church Hill, Fan District, Bon Air, Forest Hill, Bellevue, Northside, Ginter Park, Moseley, Glen Allen, Atlee, Laurel, Rockville, Doswell, and more. Don't see your area listed? Reach out! We may serve you!