The benefits to insulating your attic may seem obvious,right? Keep your home warm in the winter, cool in the spring, and lower your energy costs. The benefits don’t end just there! Here we have outlined some lesser-known pluses to insulating your attic properly.
1. Helps your HVAC system: If your HVAC system is having to work overtime in the heart of winter and summer because of the lack of insulation, the mechanics of your system have to work harder to get that cool or warm air where it needs to go. This could take years of life off your HVAC system, and lead to a super costly replacement, sooner. Take care of your homes systems by insulating your attic!
2. Better Indoor Air Quality: When your attic is insulated from outdoor air, it creates an extra line of defense to the type of air entering your home. This can combat pollutants and irritants like dust,mold, dirt, pollen, and other allergens. If your attic insulation is older, itcan be full of these allergens, irritants, and pollutants, creating harmful indoor air quality. If you don’t have any insulation at all, then you have no line of defense to these items!
3. Safer Home Structure: Did you know insulation can actually help the integrity of your home?! It’s true. Spray Foam insulation is capable of adding structural strength to whatever building to which it's applied. Fiberglass insulation can guard against heat and moisture from water vapor like humidity from seeping into your attic. Moisture in your roof deck or attic beams can cause them to soften, creating issues with your homes structure.
4. Minimizes Impacts of Roof Ice Issues and Ice Dams: While this isn’t typically an issue in Richmond, as weather around the globe and here at home becomes more and more unpredictable, protecting our home against extreme weather is vital. Ice dams and icicles form when the snow melts, runs down your roof and refreezes near the edge. This only occurs when part of your roof warms to above 32 degrees F, warm enough to melt the snow,while the roof edge remains below freezing. This scenario is often the result of an uninsulated attic and can take only a day or two of bad weather to form.
5. Environmental benefits: When your home is better insulated against the outdoors, it means your HVAC system has to work less.This in turn means your energy use is lower, which means you’re both payingless on your bills as well as conserving energy! The less energy you use, the less pollution power plants produce!
Our service areas: Tredegar Construction provides Tredegar Construction installs asphalt shingle roofing, TPO membrane roofing, and silicone roof coating, siding, crawl space solutions, spray foam, window and gutter replacement services in the Richmond, Virginia metro area and surrounding counties of Ashland, Charles City County, Chester, Chesterfield County, City of Richmond, Colonial Heights, Goochland County, Hanover County, Henrico County, Hopewell, King William County, New Kent County, Petersburg, Powhatan County and more! We also serve Midlothian, Short Pump, Petersburg, Bon Air, Mechanicsville, Manchester, Tuckahoe, Near West End, Manakin Sabot, Varina, Powhatan, Oilville, Ashland, Colonial Heights, Fort Lee, Museum District, Church Hill, Fan District, Bon Air, Forest Hill, Bellevue, Northside, Ginter Park, Moseley, Glen Allen, Atlee, Laurel, Rockville, Doswell, and more. Don't see your area listed? Reach out! We may serve you!