Just starting on your search for a roofing contractor? Itcan be so daunting! Our team has broken down the 10 most important questions you should ask when hiring a roofer. We want to empower our neighbors and friends in the metro Richmond, Virginia area to receive the best possible service!
1. Is the roofer licensed, and insured properly?
· If you ask no other question, let it be this one. The health and safety of the homeowner, the home, and the team working on the home is of upmost importance. Keeping the work done to your roof at or above state code, and ensuring the homeowner is protected from liability is of utmost importance. Ask to see copies of both documents. The insurance should include worker’s compensation in addition to general liability coverage.
2. How will the contractor handle my old roof and materials?
· A common practice for many sub-standard roofing contractors is to apply shingles right over the old ones. This is not the best strategy for a long-lasting roof, and often voids the warranty included with the shingle. A good roofer should also take the upmost care to ensure the old materials are disposed of properly. A great roofer will go above and beyond ensuring your landscaping, driveway and the exterior of your home are left in pristine condition after the install of your new roof.
3. What type of warranties are offered?
· A roof is a 30+ year investment with a price tag to match! Ensuring the best processes and materials are used is of the utmost importance. Nailing down the specifics therein and any additional information needed to ensure the warranty of the roof is vital for the homeowner to make an informed decision.
4. How will communication and contact work from homeowner to Project Manager?
· The local TV forecaster isn’t always right and weather delays do happen! Communication from the contractor to the homeowner is vital for a good relationship. Weather isn’t the only contact needed though!The ability to answer questions on the fly, getting regular updates if the homeowner is on-site or out of town, and quick responses when they are needed!
5. Will a written Estimate be provided?
· A detailed estimate provided in writing is a homeowner’s best friend. Before you sign or agree to anything, make sure you have a detailed estimate for the job. You’ll want to know the cost of removing the old roof, adding the new roof, materials, and anything else that may com eup during the process. There should be no surprise costs when the work is done.
6. Do you have a list of satisfied customers I could contact?
· Any good contractor worth their salt should have a referral list or testimonials front and center to provide to a potential customer. The core of a contractors business is the happiness of their clients,any reputable contractor should have a laundry list of happy prior customers!
7. How will gutters, flashing, drip edge, and pipe penetrations be handled?
· These questions can get a bit technical to answer but are important to understand how the items around and within the roofline will be addressed. Any good Roofer will be quite used to answering these questions and should have an answer readily available for you.
8. What is the overall timeline for the project?
· Roofing projects need to be completed in a timely manner. If they aren’t, then certain roofing materials could be damaged in the process. Depending on the size of the roof, the install should take anywhere from 1 to 3 days or more for larger buildings.
9. Is your business local?
· When selecting a roofing contractor, it is crucial to pick one local to your area. It’s can be common for out-of-stateroofers to come through town after big storms, trying to undercut local contractors. Unfortunately, this can lead to improperly installed roofs not upto local code, and when repairs or warranty work need to be done, they are nowhere to be found. Hiring locally means you can contact the company who installed your roof at any time.
10. Are you certified by shingle manufacturers?
· The top shingle manufacturers pick six to 10 ofthe best contractors in an area to go through their certification process. These certifications allow a contractor to offer the best warranties and enhanced warranties on the materials from the manufacturer. When a shingle manufacturer selects a contractor, you can be sure the manufacturer believes them to be reputable and capable of installing their product correctly to ensure the warranty is fulfilled.
When you have these questions answered properly you’re well on your way to ensuring your roofing experience is the best possible. Luckily for you, Tredegar Construction has got that covered.
The team at Tredegar has been providing the residents ofRichmond, Virginia’s metro area with high-quality roof replacements and more with over 35 years of experience! We take extreme pride in our workmanship andare proud to offer you the best warranties around. If you're local to Richmond and the surrounding area, don't hesitate to contact us to take care of all your roofing needs.
Our service areas: Tredegar Construction provides Tredegar Construction installs asphalt shingle roofing, TPO membrane roofing, and silicone roof coating, siding, crawl space solutions, spray foam, window and gutter replacement services in the Richmond, Virginia metro area and surrounding counties of Ashland, Charles City County, Chester, Chesterfield County, City of Richmond, Colonial Heights, Goochland County, Hanover County, Henrico County, Hopewell, King William County, New Kent County, Petersburg, Powhatan County and more! We also serve Midlothian, Short Pump, Petersburg, Bon Air, Mechanicsville, Manchester, Tuckahoe, Near West End, Manakin Sabot, Varina, Powhatan, Oilville, Ashland, Colonial Heights, Fort Lee, Museum District, Church Hill, Fan District, Bon Air, Forest Hill, Bellevue, Northside, Ginter Park, Moseley, Glen Allen, Atlee, Laurel, Rockville, Doswell, and more. Don't see your area listed? Reach out! We may serve you!